Introduction to Islam
About The Book
This well known book is a good resource, not only for non-Muslims who wish to know more about Islam, but for Muslims who wish to learn more about their faith.
This book offers deep insight into the various aspects of Islam ranging from faith and beliefs to economics and politics
A highly significant and original contribution of Professor Hamidullah pertains to the discovery, editing and translations of some rare and invaluable manuscripts relating to Hadith, Sirah, Fiqh, Islamic history, biographical literature and medicine.
- Ch. 1 ... The Prophet of Islam -- His Biography paragraphs 1-42
- • Ch. 2 ... Preservation of the Original Teachings of Islam paragraphs 43-98
- • Ch. 3 ... The Islamic Conception of Life paragraphs 99-125
- • Ch. 4 ... Faith and Belief paragraphs 126-159
- • Ch. 5 ... Devotional Life and Religious Practices in Islam paragraphs 160-198/a
- • Ch. 6 ... The Cultivation of Spiritual Life paragraphs 199-222
- • Ch. 7 ... The System of Morality in Islam paragraphs 223-257
- • Ch. 8 ... The Political System of Islam paragraphs 258-299
- • Ch. 9 ... The Judicial System of Islam paragraphs 300-336
- • Ch. 10 ... The Economic System of Islam paragraphs 337-379
- • Ch. 11 ... The Muslim Woman paragraphs 380-405
- • Ch. 12 ... The Status of non-Muslims in Islam paragraphs 406-442
- • Ch. 13 ... Muslim Contribution to the Sciences and Arts paragraphs 443-488
- • Ch. 14 ... General History of Islam paragraphs 489-515
- • Ch. 15 ... Daily Life of a Muslim paragraphs 516-592 [large file]
- • Selected Bibliography of Muslim Authors
- • On Polygamy ...Paragraphs 402 - 404
- • On Free Will and Predestination ... Paragraphs 121 - 125
- • On Free Will and Predestination ... Paragraphs 155 - 158
- • On The Hajj ... Paragraphs 177 - 184
- • On why the Service of Worship (i.e. the Salat or Prayer) is in Arabic ... Paragraphs 575 i-xvii
- • On Zakat and State Expenditure ... Paragraphs 351 - 367
- • On Gambling and Alcohol ... Paragraphs 251, 252, 368 & 379
- • On Holy War ... Paragraph 441 and 442
- • Determining the direction of the Qibla ... Paragraphs 554 and 582 (f and g)
Note: Imported book so the cover could be slightly bruised
About The Author
Professor Dr Muhammad Hamidullah : widely known across the Islamic world, in the Indian subcontinent and in Europe and North America for his seminal and outstanding contributions to the advancement of Islamic learning and to the dissemination of Islamic teachings in the Western world,
Dr. Muhammad Hamidullah was born in 1908 (Feb 19, 1908 / 16 Muharram 1326) and he obtained several degrees in Theology and Law from Osmania University in the state of Hyderabad Deccan (India). He also studied in Germany and France where he received his PhD degrees (he had more than one PhD) in International Law. He was a law professor in his native city. He then settled in France but later moved to the United States in 1996. The professor never married. He had been taken care of by the grand-daughter of his brother.
His book, Introduction to Islam, was translated into at least a dozen languages and it became so popular that it is used as a textbook in Russia as well as other countries. His book, The Muslim Conduct of State, was a groundbreaking work in Muslim International Law. A series of his lectures, delivered at Bhawalpur, Pakistan, were translated into English, under the title of Emergence of Islam and it is also very popular among his other original works.
Dr. Hamidullah passed away on Dec 17, 2002, in Jacksonville, FL in his sleep after praying Fajr at the home of his host sister Sadida who is his brother's granddaughter. He was 94 years old. His funeral prayers were led by a Turkish-American scholar Dr. Yusuf Ziya Kavakci, Imam Islamic Association of North Texas.